Useful documents reprintedWe have collected together here a number of useful documents from ISVR, ISVR Consulting and other sources, paper and web.
Note that all copyrights remain with the original authors or publishers. These documents are made available here within the copyright terms published by the individuals and organizations concerned. The symbol shows a link to an external site when we do not have permission from the copyright owner to publish a paper on our own site.
We will be adding further documents to the collection. Currently the following are available, with the most recent papers at the top:
Papers from ISVR Consulting authors or co-authors:
- Sound levels and exposures from a high velocity rifle (pdf version). Mike Lower and Gurmail Paddan. Presentation given at the IOA Southern Branch Conference, 18 October 2017 in Southampton. Note: the pdf version does not replay audio clips. To replay audio clips you will need to download the Powerpoint version , and have Powerpoint or a free Powerpoint viewer installed.
- A new empirical prediction approach for groundborne vibration in buildings. Daniel Lurcock and David Thompson. Paper #1277T10 SS4, 24th International Congress on Sound and Vibration (ICSV24), London, 23-27 July 2017 (pdf 890 KB).
- Vibration modelling and performance evaluation of specialist buildings: a designer’s approach. Christos Karatsovis and Malcolm Smith, Paper #208T14 SS4, 24th International Congress on Sound and Vibration (ICSV24), London, 23-27 July 2017 (pdf 500 KB)
- Distributed optical fibre acoustic sensors - future applications in audio and acoustics engineering. P Golacki, A Masoudi, K R Holland and T P Newson. Proceedings of the Institute of Acoustics (Reproduced Sound) 38(2) 2016 (pdf 415 KB)
- Is the infant car seat challenge useful? A pilot study in a simulated moving vehicle. Renu Arya, Georgina Williams, Anna Kilonback, Martin Toward, Michael Griffin, Peter S Blair, Peter Fleming. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 2016;0:F1–F6. doi:10.1136/archdischild-2016-310730.
- Assessing noise and vibration in buildings using finite element modelling: understanding the factors influencing predictions. C Karatsovis and D Lurcock, Proceedings of the Institute of Acoustics 38(1) 2016, 280-287 (pdf 1.11 MB)
- Application of numerical modelling methods to the design of silencers. E Quaranta and S Roberts, Proceedings of the Institute of Acoustics 38(1) 2016, 317-326 (pdf 2.63 MB)
- Numerical modelling in acoustics, dynamics and vibroacoustics. M G Smith, Proceedings of the Institute of Acoustics 38(1) 2016, 263-271 (pdf 475 KB)
- Factors affecting sound exposure from firing an SA80 high-velocity rifle. G S Paddan and M C Lower. Applied Acoustics Volume 109, August 2016, Pages 61–68.
- A Baseline for the Assessment of Noise-Induced Hearing Loss: Contrasting thresholds-by-age for otologically normal persons and typical persons. B W Lawton. ISVR Technical Report No. 338 March 2016. (pdf 1130KB)
Mitigation of railway induced ground vibration by heavy masses next to the track. A Dijckmans, P
Coulier, J Jiang, M G R Toward, D J Thompson, G Degrande, G Lombaert Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering Volume 75, August 2015,
- Reducing freight wagon noise at the source. Martin Toward, Giacomo Squicciarini, David Thompson. International Raiway Journal, March 2015, pp 47-49. Reprinted with permission. The full journal is available on subscription from the IRJ website.
- Acoustic optimisation of a fan test rig. Erika Quaranta and Malcolm Smith. Presentation given at the FFT Acoustic Simulation Conference/Actran Users’ Meeting, 15-16 October 2014, Brussels, Belgium. (pdf 730 KB)
- The influence of soil conditions on railway induced ground-borne vibration and relevant mitigation measures. J Jiang, M G R Toward, A Dijckmans, D J Thompson, G Degrande, G Lombaert. The 21st International Congress on Sound and Vibration; 13-17 July 2014, Beijing, China.
- Mitigation of railway induced vibration by using subgrade stiffening and wave impeding blocks M G R Toward, J Jiang, A Dijckmans, P Coulier, D J Thompson, G Degrande, G Lombaert. Proceedings of the 9th International Conference On Structural Dynamics, EURODYN 2014; 30 June - 2 July 2014, Porto, Portugal.
- Mitigation of railway induced vibrations by using heavy masses next to the track. A Dijckmans, P Coulier, J Jiang, M G R Toward, G Degrande, G Lombaert, D J Thompson. Proceedings of the 9th International Conference On Structural Dynamics, EURODYN 2014; 30 June - 2 July 2014, Porto, Portugal.
- Track and trackside - Damping down noise. A case study of the effects of a track renewal on train noise. Martin Toward, Giacomo Squicciarini and David Thompson (pdf). Reprinted with permission from Rail Professional pp 83 and 85, Issue 199, February 2014.
- Estimating the performance of rail dampers using laboratory methods and software predictions. M.G.R. Toward, G. Squicciarini, D.J. Thompson and Y. Gao (pdf) (Author-created version of a paper given at the 11th International Workshop on Railway Noise, 9-13 September 2013 at Uddevalla in Sweden.)
- Exposure limits for airborne sound of very high frequency and ultrasonic frequency. B W Lawton, ISVR Technical Report No: 334, April 2013. (pdf 120 KB)
- Laboratory methods for testing the performance of acoustic rail dampers M Toward and D J Thompson. Proceedings of the Acoustics 2012 Nantes Conference, 3739-3744, 23-27 April 2012
- Rising to the challenge of a ‘Buy Quiet’ campaign. Malcolm Smith, reprinted from AWE International, September 2011, with kind permission from Bay Publishing. (pdf 3.4 MB)
- Prediction methodologies for vibration and structure borne noise. Malcolm Smith. Invited plenary paper presented at the Alberta Acoustics and Noise Association Spring Conference. Banff, Canada, May 2011 (pdf 250 KB)
- Design issues for micro-generation equipment installed in houses. M G Smith, reprinted from Proceedings of the Institute of Acoustics, Vol.33, Pt. 1, 2011 (pdf 63KB)
- Instrument for soundscape recognition, identification and evaluation (ISRIE): technology and practical uses. Oliver Bunting, Jon Stammers and David Chesmore (University of York); Omar Bouzid Gui Yun Tian (University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne); Christos Karatsovis and Stuart Dyne (ISVR Consulting, University of Southampton). Presented at EURONOISE 2009, October 26-28, Edinburgh, Scotland.
- Instrument for soundscape recognition, identification and evaluation - an overview and potential use in legislative applications. C Karatsovis and S J C Dyne, reprinted from Proceedings of the Institute of Acoustics, Vol.30, Pt. 2, 602-608, 2008 (pdf 63KB)
- Time domain measurement of sound power output from a vacuum facility. Brown, K T and Smith, M G Proceedings of the Institute of Acoustics, Autumn Conference, Oxford, UK, 17-18 October 2007, 29(5), 7pp. (pdf 180KB)
- Noise source identification using microphone arrays. M.G.Smith, K.B.Kim and D.J.Thompson reprinted from Proceedings of the Institute of Acoustics Vol. 29. Pt. 5 2007 (pdf 450KB)
- Reducing noise from an oil refinery catalytic distillation column R D Rawlinson, J Alberola, P F Joseph, and M G Smith. Noise Control Engineering Journal, 54 (6), Nov-Dec 2006. reprinted with permission (large pdf 5281KB).
- Sound Power Measurements for Hot Exhaust Stacks R David Rawlinson and Philip F Joseph. Paper 448 Proceedings of Internoise 2006 Honolulu, Hawaii. (pdf file)
- Reducing noise from an oil refinery cat cracker R D Rawlinson, J Alberola and P Joseph. Paper No 2103. Proceedings of Internoise 2005 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. (pdf file)
- Variation of young normal hearing thresholds measured using various patterns of audiometric earphone: Implications for the acoustic coupler and the ear simulator (artificial ear) B W Lawton, September 2004 (pdf file).
- CVR Recordings of Explosions and Structural Failure Decompressions Stuart Dyne. This paper was presented at the ISASI 2003 Seminar in Washington DC, USA, in August 2003. An abridged version of this paper was published under the title "Weakness of CVR recordings" in ISASI Forum, 37(1) 20-23, International Society of Air Safety Investigators, 2004. (pdf file, 275 KB)
- Audiometric findings in call centre workers exposed to acoustic shock, by B W Lawton, reprinted from Proceedings of the Institute of Acoustics, 2003 with permission (pdf file, 100 KB).
- Background information on Head and Torso Simulators and relevant standards M C Lower, September 2003 (pdf file).
- A Concise Vocabulary of Audiology and allied topics, B W Lawton and D W Robinson. Part 1: The Vocabulary, Part 2; Abbreviations (html file).
- Reducing Noise from Forges and Foundries - The Handbook of the Black Country Forging and Foundry Project by R A Davis (html file)
- Hearing loss on the flight deck - origin and remedy M Bagshaw and M C Lower, 2002; The Aeronautical Journal, 106(1059), 277-289. (Abstract available to all, full paper available to registered visitors to the publisher’s website.)
- Typical Hearing Thresholds: a Baseline for the Assessment of Noise-Induced Hearing Loss by B W Lawton, ISVR Technical Report 272, 1998 (pdf 1.3 MB)
- Noise from Toys and its effect on Hearing, M C Lower, B W Lawton, R A Davis and M E Lutman (pdf file).
- Noise levels and noise reduction under motorcyclist's helmets M C Lower, D W Hurst and A Thomas, 979 - 982, Proceedings of Internoise 96
- Noise levels and communications on the flight decks of civil aircraft M C Lower and M Bagshaw, 349 - 352, Proceedings of Internoise 96
- Sources and levels of noise under motorcyclists' helmets. M C Lower, D W Hurst, A R Claughton and A Thomas, reprinted from Proceedings of the Institute of Acoustics, 1994. (pdf file, 530 kB)
- Headphones and the Noise at Work Regulations. M C Lower. Reprinted with permission from Health and Safety at Work, April 1992 p33. (pdf file, 675 kB)
- Perspectives on normal and near-normal hearing. B.W. Lawton. ISVR Technical Report No 200. October 1991
- Industrial deafness. A review of the information available to the ordinary reasonable and prudent employer prior to 1972. W I Acton, Report from the Wolfson Unit for Noise and Vibration Control (now ISVR Consulting), University of Southampton, 1981. (Large pdf file, 12 MB)
Some useful links to documents from other sources:
- The Control of Noise at Work Regulations 2005 , Statutory Instrument 2005 No 1643 (pdf)
- European Directive 2003/10/EC on the minimum health and safety requirements regarding the exposure of workers to the risks arising from physical agents (noise) (The Physical Agents (Noise) Directive) (pdf file).
- The Control of Vibration at Work Regulations 2005 , Statutory Instrument 2005 No 1093 (pdf) ,
- European Directive 2002/44/EC on the minimum health and safety requirements regarding the exposure of workers to the risks arising from physical agents (vibration) (The Physical Agents (Vibration) Directive) (pdf file).
- The Noise at Work Regulations 1989 , Statutory Instrument 1989 No 1790 (html file).
- European Directive 86/188/EEC on the protection of workers from the risks related to exposure to noise at work (pdf).
ISVR Consulting has no responsibility for the content of these documents from other sources.