Automotive noise and vibration
ISVR Consulting’s automotive specialists, formerly the Automotive Design Advisory Unit, have been involved in all aspects of noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) for over 40 years. We have a deep knowledge of automotive engineering and are well placed to solve NVH problems, and to identify means of refining prototype or production engines, vehicles or components.
Areas of expertise include
- Exhaust system and silencer design and optimisation
- Optimisation of engine cover design
- Propagation of noise and vibration through engine structures (the “Banger Rig”)
- Active noise and vibration control
- Setting targets for engine and vehicle noise and future designs to meet customer expectations
- Subjective assessments of vehicles, engines and components
- Noise reduction of seat motors, pumps and other secondary sources in luxury vehicles
- Effects of engine, exhaust and tyre patch transfer functions on exterior and internal noise
Many of the above topics naturally extend to wheeled and tracked military vehicles, and noise in trains.
We have developed High- and Low-frequency Omni-directional Sound Sources with a custom-built noise generator and amplifier. These are widely used by automotive companies worldwide. Although we routinely carry out noise and vibration measurements, our main expertise is in more advanced applied research and modelling, and the development of test methods and prediction techniques with a longer-term approach.
We also present bespoke short courses on noise and vibration for automotive professionals.