Acoustic test facilities
ISVR Consulting operates ISVR's Rayleigh Laboratories.
The Rayleigh Laboratories on the main campus include two reverberation chambers, a large anechoic chamber, a loudspeaker listening room, a product development lab for noise and vibration, a combustion noise rig and a range of electrodynamic shakers. The laboratories are well served with comprehensive control and preparation areas. A wide range of modern, highly specialised instrumentation is available. Single and three phase electrical supplies at 50, 60 and 400 Hz, compressed air and cooling water can be provided. Mechanical workshop and handling facilities are readily accessible.
A wide range of measurements are offered to national and international standards, including
- Sound Power Determination (ISO 3741, ISO 3742, ISO 3745, ISO 9614-1, ISO 9614-2, ISO 7779 and ECMA standards)
- Measurement of Sound Reduction Indices (Transmission Loss) (ISO 140)
- Measurement of Sound Absorption (ISO 354:2003, ASTM E1050, ISO 10534)
- High Intensity Acoustic Exposures (MIL-STD-810, BS 3G 100)
- Performance measurements on microphones, loudspeakers, audio and communications equipment.
Access is also available to testing and research facilities, such as wind tunnels and water tanks for underwater acoustics, which are operated by other groups or departments at the University of Southampton. A booklet giving information about our facilities for potential users can be downloaded in Adobe Acrobat (pdf) format (316 KB).
The facilities are complemented by a comprehensive suite of noise and vibration measurement and analysis equipment, dedicated automotive NVH manipulation software, optical and laser torsional measurement equipment, multi-channel high-speed data acquisition, digital sound quality and editing software. Analytical facilities include Finite Element, Statistical Energy, and Modal Analysis packages and Matlab.